Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Eno River Watershed Exploration. I am a graduate student at Virginia Tech who recently moved to Chapel Hill, NC with my wife from Jersey City, NJ. As I get more acquainted with our new home I'll be taking a deep dive into the Eno River Watershed. This blog is a project for class, but also a way for me to organize and share my discoveries of the natural history and composition of our local ecosystems. I've provided links to local parks and eBird hotspots as a way to connect directly with nature (I'll expand this sections as I become more familiar with the area!) Feel free to comment and ask questions about the area, I'll do my best to answer them.

Sunday, November 24, 2019

Today we're looking at the flood plain of the Eno River! Flood plains are areas that expectantly flood throughout the year, often with few negative ramifications. These periodic floods are important for soil development, and are one of the reasons why the soil of the Piedmont is so successful for agriculture! The below presentation takes a look at the scope of the Eno Watershed, the effects on soil creation, and the potential risks for Durham, NC in a 100 year flood scenario. The information was generated using FEMA Flood Mapping and the USDA's Soil Survey results. These are both free resources I encourage you to look at in order to get a better idea of the geologic make along the Eno River! I created the maps in ArcGIS Online, and I'm working on having an interactive map that I can post here as soon as I can get some more of the soil information uploaded. As always, please let me know if you have any thoughts or questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment