Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Eno River Watershed Exploration. I am a graduate student at Virginia Tech who recently moved to Chapel Hill, NC with my wife from Jersey City, NJ. As I get more acquainted with our new home I'll be taking a deep dive into the Eno River Watershed. This blog is a project for class, but also a way for me to organize and share my discoveries of the natural history and composition of our local ecosystems. I've provided links to local parks and eBird hotspots as a way to connect directly with nature (I'll expand this sections as I become more familiar with the area!) Feel free to comment and ask questions about the area, I'll do my best to answer them.

Sunday, November 3, 2019

This week we're taking our class has been looking at some of the tools that can be used to help with watershed management. I've chosen to take a deeper dive into a more macro style kind of tool: Riparian Buffers. These are incredibly important vegetative zones along waterways that can be the difference between healthy aquatic ecosystems or not. All it takes to install a buffer is a bit of planning and installation of plants, and they are a tangible way that property owners along the Eno can make a difference. I've provided some background information in the following presentation, as well as some resources for buffer design and locations to find native plants (which are better suited for wildlife and erosion control). Take a look:

No comments:

Post a Comment