Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Eno River Watershed Exploration. I am a graduate student at Virginia Tech who recently moved to Chapel Hill, NC with my wife from Jersey City, NJ. As I get more acquainted with our new home I'll be taking a deep dive into the Eno River Watershed. This blog is a project for class, but also a way for me to organize and share my discoveries of the natural history and composition of our local ecosystems. I've provided links to local parks and eBird hotspots as a way to connect directly with nature (I'll expand this sections as I become more familiar with the area!) Feel free to comment and ask questions about the area, I'll do my best to answer them.

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

The weather is getting cooler, and the rain is finally back! That means that fall is here again. Its my favorite time of year, and a great time for exploring. I have two different posts that I want to share pertaining to some of the wildlife that we can see in the Eno River Watershed this time of the year: I have the good fortune of working at a small farm property that serves as an outdoor lab for students at a private school in Durham. A few days ago I saw my first Pied Billed Grebe of the season, which is what got me thinking about the first presentation here. I've put together a slide show of some of the most common bird species that will be calling this area home for the winter. Not all of them are here yet, but all of them are on their way and will stay until next spring. These slides have some fun facts and helpful ID hints. Please let me know if you have any thoughts or questions!





The second of these two presentations is part 1 of a dendrology (Woody Plant ID) project I've been working on for my Masters. The following are 8 common trees of the Eno River Watershed, and how best to identify them. I'll be posting an additional 10 trees shortly, let me know if there are any species that you're curious about!





Cheers, Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment