Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Eno River Watershed Exploration. I am a graduate student at Virginia Tech who recently moved to Chapel Hill, NC with my wife from Jersey City, NJ. As I get more acquainted with our new home I'll be taking a deep dive into the Eno River Watershed. This blog is a project for class, but also a way for me to organize and share my discoveries of the natural history and composition of our local ecosystems. I've provided links to local parks and eBird hotspots as a way to connect directly with nature (I'll expand this sections as I become more familiar with the area!) Feel free to comment and ask questions about the area, I'll do my best to answer them.

Sunday, September 29, 2019

Hydrilla on the Eno River

The below is a quick rundown and update on the state of Hydrilla (an invasive aquatic plant) in the Eno River. The plant has been an issue in Orange County since the 1990's. This summer saw the Eno River Hydrilla Management Task Force releasing small batches of Fluridone in order to control the plant.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Thomas, I really liked your slideshow, and it taught me something knew. it seems to me that the efforts to limit the Hydrilla from spreading have not helped as intended? Do you further know, which decade or maybe year the plant was introduced from Asia? It would be interesting to know, how fast this plant has spread, as you underline, by the help of humans? I imagine that animals might have something to do with it to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thomas,
    I found the Hydrilla plan tin the Eno River to be rather fascinating. Invasive species are something I've always found to be interesting, see how they overtake foreign ecosystems so quickly. I do hope that their efforts may soon one day to be able to bring this plant under control in the river.

    ReplyDelete