Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Eno River Watershed Exploration. I am a graduate student at Virginia Tech who recently moved to Chapel Hill, NC with my wife from Jersey City, NJ. As I get more acquainted with our new home I'll be taking a deep dive into the Eno River Watershed. This blog is a project for class, but also a way for me to organize and share my discoveries of the natural history and composition of our local ecosystems. I've provided links to local parks and eBird hotspots as a way to connect directly with nature (I'll expand this sections as I become more familiar with the area!) Feel free to comment and ask questions about the area, I'll do my best to answer them.

Saturday, September 14, 2019

About the Eno River!

The Eno River is roughly 40 miles long, flowing east from Elfland, NC to Falls Lake (a reservoir created by the damming of the Neuse river at the confluence of the Eno, Flat, and Little Rivers). The Eno meanders its way through the Piedmont of North-Central NC and a diversity of habitats. Most of the of the Eno is surrounded by Mesic and growing forests recovering from historic logging and urban development.

Despite the watershed encompassing most of Orange and Durham country, much of the surrounding landscape (~5,500 acres) has been preserved through efforts of local organizations (such as the Eno River Association) and the public. The river is a much needed oasis in the backyard of rapidly growing urban center and an excellent place to explore. Take a look at the links in the side bar for ways to get outside and explore the local fauna!

1 comment:

  1. Thomas, that was a great idea to include links in the sidebar to various parks and birding sites in the Eno River watershed. I am not that familiar with the natural areas around the Research Triangle area, but our family did make many trips down to Durham during the four years that my oldest son went to Duke.

    ReplyDelete